on Thursday, 10 May 2012
With these two exciting major events happening very soon across the UK, we hope that you will be maximising every opportunity to ‘fly the flag’ for you and your customers. We’ve received a few member enquiries about what you can and can’t do around both events. So we’ve put together a quick reference guide to the various official resources, to help you find the information quickly.
These sources give you general advice as well as specific brand restrictions that you need to be aware of to ensure you’re trading legally. We couldn’t possibly cover all eventualities or queries, but the following websites are a really good starting point:
Queen’s Diamond Jubilee – June 5 2012
2012 Olympic Games - 27 July – 12 August 2012/ Paralympics 29th August – 9 September 2012
General tips for independents:
- Watch for more scams and crime especially outside Olympic area.
- Staff may have travel problems getting to and from work.
- Be aware that deliveries will be time restricted in certain areas – see the Transport for London website for full details
- Customers may have more difficulty getting to some shops.
- Be on the alert for fake currency
- Keep chip and pin machines secure
- Watch for Keylogging a device plugged into the back of computers to record information.
- Computer scams (if in doubt and it looks wrong it probably is wrong)
- Ensure you are following correct acceptance and exceptions procedure on credit/debit cards.
- There will be a large influx of signed cards from USA, Australia and Asia which require the usual checks plus signature check.
- Ensure staff are trained and prepared • Make sure all staff know procedures, if in doubt check with supervisors/managers.
- Procedure notice on or near tills.
- Read rules and regulations on both the use of the Jubilee name and Olympic logo
If you require further information, please contact the bira legal general advice line on tel: 0121 446 6688 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org